University of Hull and Chinese Scholarship Council
Joint PhD Studentships (2023)
The University of Hull (UoH), UK is a long-standing partner of the China Scholarship Council (CSC) and is again offering full tuition fee scholarships for the selected students via the CSC PhD scholarship in 2023.
In the School of Engineering, The UoH/CSC PhD Scholarships (~£16000/year tuition fee plus ~14500/year living cost for a duration of 4 years) are open to outstanding Chinese applicants (up to 15 posts) in the following priority research directions and areas supported by the UKRI, The Royal Society, the EU Horizon Programme, etc.
1. Advanced Materials and Manufacturing Technologies (先近材料与制造技术)
• In situ and in operando studies of materials structure evolution in solidification and phase transformation processes using synchrotron X-ray, neutron and X-ray free electron laser-based imaging, tomography, diffraction and spectroscopic techniques.
• Design and development of advanced structural and functional materials, e.g., metallic alloys, composites, metallic glasses, 2D functional materials and biomaterials, as well as advanced external physical fields (ultrasound and magnetic fields) material manufacturing technologies.
2. Renewable Energy and Energy Storage Technologies (再生能源与存储技术)
• Design and development of efficient and low-cost manufacturing technologies for hydrogen production and the manufacturing of the hydrogen storage materials, as well as reliable control of the hydrogen storage and release cycles.
• Offshore wind, wave, tidal energy and energy storage technologies, sustainable control of energy systems, reliable and faulty tolerant control in wind energy and wave energy generation.
3. Advanced Nanoengineered Materials and Additive Manufacturing Technologies
This PhD project is to look at harnessing specialized nanoparticles in glass using the state-of-the-art manufacturing techniques, for both fundamental interests and technological applications. This project has been patented and is mutually interacting with industrial partners (including global and local manufacturer and one top-3 smartphone company) for commercialization. This project lies in the priority research directions and areas supported by the UKRI, The Royal Society, the EU Horizon Programme, etc. at the University.
As the world reputed group in materials science and engineering, we are seeking highly motivated graduates (from physics, chemistry, materials and engineering) to commence their PhD studies in theoretical or experimental studies or both. With us, you will have chances to:
• Participate in an emerging materials-based technology for real impacts in life
• Collaborate with researchers in top institutes (such as University of Oxford, UK; UCL, UK; University of Adelaide, Australia; University of Jena, Germany) and in world leading national laboratories
• Regularly attend workshops around the world to enrich or sharpen your portfolio of hard and soft skills
• Regularly conduct in situ and in operando studies of materials of concern using synchrotron X-ray and neutron-based imaging, tomography, diffraction and spectroscopic techniques (e.g., in UK, US, Germany, Switzerland, etc.)
• Access millions of pounds 3D Printing machine in house, Hull's supercomputer and bespoke devices accommodating additional advanced external physical fields (e.g., ultrasound and magnetic fields) for materials manufacturing
• Publish high-quality and high-impact papers (in the past 5 years, all of our publications appear in Q1 journals)
• Secure positions at internationally recognized sectors (all of our graduates with high-distinction in thesis and holding positions in top academic or industrial institutes)
English Requirement (英语要求)
IELTS (雅思) above 6.5; no less than 6.0 in listening, reading, writing and speaking.
Academic Requirement (学位要求)
First class Master or Undergraduate students (degree awarded or to be awarded before September 2023) in research intensive universities in China (985或211高校).
Deadline for Application (截止时间): 10th Feb 2023
if you have any inquiry please contact as soon as possible
Professor Jiawei Mi & Dr Jiangbo (Tim) Zhao
Director of Research
School of Engineering, University of Hull
课题组学习氛围浓厚，实验室设备齐全，资金充足，十分鼓励和支持学生积极参加各类国际学术会议，同时每年都会前往Diamond Light Source, UK, Advanced Photon Source, USA, Swiss Light Source, Switzerland等世界一流光源实验室交流学习，开展实验